Goleta Valley South Little League recognizes that as a parent, a great part of appreciating your child’s involvement in competitive sports is watching them enjoy the game, improve and develop their skills, discipline, and performance. As a result, GVSLL has developed this Code of Conduct for our league. Parents should read, understand and sign this form prior to their children participating in our league.
Parents guilty of improper conduct at any game or practice will be asked to leave the sports facility and be suspended from the following game. Repeat violations may result in multiple game suspension or the season forfeiture of the privilege of attending all games.
Let us all remember to display and instill sportsmanship throughout our season.
I agree as a GVSLL Parent /Guardian:
1. I will not force my child to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the Team Manager of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
I agree as a Manager, Coach or Volunteer:
1. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
2. I will teach every child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
3. I will teach every child to treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
4. I will teach every child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that they will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
5. I will praise every child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make them all feel like a winner every time.
6. I will never ridicule or yell at any child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
7. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit children over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
8. I will promote the emotional and physical wellbeing of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have to win.
9. I will respect the coaches, officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
10. I will demand a sports environment for all children that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.